Q&A

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Please ask if there's something you need to know 

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Hi, I saw your demo video is pretty good in recognizing the gestures. However, I am not sure why when I run it, it just couldn't recognize my gestures. I only managed to get it recognized two times after so many tries. Even after I recorded a new gesture, it just doesn't get recognized. Can you assist me please?

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Hi,

Thanks for trying it out! Normally it works just fine, even with the gestures I've recorded. It is advisable though that you record your own (as you did), as it could be that you're doing something totally different :)

When trying the gestures, you need to start by raising your hand above your head, so that you leave the idle state and get into recognizing mode. When you do that, the hand you used will be colored in white in the skeleton viewer. Make sure you see it in white, otherwise recognition is not even taking place!

There is a known issue with the recording - after you record, the newly recorded gesture isn't immediately loaded in the recognizer. So after recording anything, to test it you have to restart the test project.

Another thing is - is it not recognizing anything at all or is it recognizing incorrectly?  If it is the latter, you might consider tweaking the constants in the config file, so that you lower the threshold for the incorrectly recognized ones.

If none of the above helped, it is apparently some kind of a bug. So to help you further, I'll need more details - a config file, the gestures, exact repro, etc.

Cheers,

Alex

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Hi, I also tryed out your Recogonizer and I think it works pretty good.

I have been trying to tweak some things for the use in my own programm.  An important thing would be to easily add new recorded gestures to the list of recognizable items. As far as I figured out, you have to add a new gesture to the GestureId enum in Gestures.cs and edit the gesturesConfig file and add the name of your gesture here.

Is there any possibility to just put new gestures into the xml file and recogintion starts working? Enumerations are not supposed to be edited during runtime, so my first thought was to use something like an Arraylist and initialize it somewhere in the config file reading process. But it is difficult to find out every point where the GestureId enumeration is used and if it would be possible to use an Arraylist instead. Could you give me some advice?  Thanks in advance.

I am nowhere near your programming skills, so forgive me if the question is stupid.

My other question ist, if you are still developing the project, or just leave it where it is.

Coordinator
Oct 30, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Yup, I see what you mean and I'll refactor the code some time soon so that you can actually do that. After all, this is meant to be a component, so this kind of usage is to be expected and thus provided :)

The project was created just for fun, for the sake of playing with the API. So once I'm done with it, I don't think I'll push it much further unless someone requires some new feature or a bug fix.

Cheers,

Alex

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:28 AM
Edited Nov 30, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Hi, Your source codes work well but i have a couple of questions listed as below. I don't know whether my understanding is correct.

1. Suppose we set  SkipFrames = 3 and each skeleton frame has 6 skeleton frame data. Does it mean that the "StateWaitingCommand" will ignore the entire skeleton frame if the first skeleton data in the skeleton frame can't be handled. And for each handled skeleton frame it will pick up about 2 tracked skeleton frame data.

2. Do we have to lock the "frameBuffer" when the StateWaitingCommand->Recoginizer is analyzing the frameBuffer? Because the frameBuffer is gonna do "frameBuffer.RemoveAt(0)" when the new skeleton data arrived. will it impact the recognition result ? 

Thanks.

William

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Hello, this is very interesting project. I have one question though, what is the highest speeds gestures can be at? I am also working on a sort of gesture recognition with the Kinect but in a sports application (cricket).  I am analysing a fast bowler's arm. And I am using a sort of gesture recognition to determine when someone is bowling. My only concern is whether the kinect can perform accurate gesture recognitions at for high speed arm movement. I am sorry for asking this on your project discussion but any help will be greatly appreciated. I have been trying out gesture recognition with high speed movement but it does not seem to work well. When I perform the same gesture at a lower speed it works fairly well. Also is the kinect skeleton frame rate 30FPS and is it always maintained at or close to 30FPS while tracking one skeleton? Again any advice or information you have to share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Josiah Stapleton